Yorkshire's Cycling History
Yorkshire has some of the best roads and landscapes for cycling in England.
Since hosting the Tour de France Grand Depart in 2014, cycling in Yorkshire has gone from strength to strength, with the annual Tour de Yorkshire becoming firmly established on the International cycling calendar.
Now for a second time, all eyes are on Yorkshire and the Harrogate District as we prepare to welcome the Yorkshire 2019 Para-cycling International and UCI Road World Cycling Championships (21 September - 29 September 2019).
- The Championships include men’s and women’s races, across three age groups: Junior (age 17-18), Under 23 and Elite.
- Yorkshire 2019 Para-cycling International: Saturday 21 September
- Time Trial events: Sunday 22 - Wednesday 25 September
- Road Races: Thursday 26 - Sunday 29 September
Visiting Yorkshire and the Harrogate District
If you are visiting Yorkshire for the first time - welcome, welkom, bienvenidos, bienvenue, willkommen to our beautiful region.
Yorkshire is the largest county in England and there is so much to see - from National Parks such as The Yorkshire Dales National Park and North York Moors National Park to historic cities and towns such as York and Knaresborough and Fountains Abbey World Heritage site.
You can find out more about Yorkshire at the official website for the region: https://www.yorkshire.com/
(photos left to right: North York Moors National Park, Petrified Bike at Mother Shipton's Cave in Knaresborough and Knaresborough Viaduct in Sunset. Knaresborough is located 5.7km from Harrogate and is easily accessible by train, bus or bike)
Cycling in Yorkshire
If you are bringing your bike with you to Yorkshire, the event organisers have suggested some great rides for you to try:
Transport - UCI Road World Cycling Championships 2019
Roads, trains and buses will be busy and some roads will be closed, so it is important that you plan your journey.
During race times, the best way to move around within the restricted areas will be on a bike or walking. There is bike storage on Otley Road at the edge of the Fan Zone in Harrogate.
- Transport, travel and parking: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/spectator-guide/transport-travel/
- Road closures: https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/uci-road-world-cycling-championships
- Live road closure tracking: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/championships-info/travel/
Trains: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk and https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/uci
- Harrogate Park and Ride tickets: https://worldsyorkshire.ticketsrv.co.uk/parentlist
Useful Information - UCI Road World Cycling Championships 2019
- Official website of UCI event organisers: http://Yorkshire2019.co.uk (all race routes, UCI FAQs and event information)
- The Races (dates, times and routes for para-cycling, time trials and road races): https://worlds.yorkshire.com/the-races/
- Para-cycling event (Sat 21 Sept): https://worlds.yorkshire.com/the-races/yorkshire-2019-para-cycling-international (Para-cycling classifications, Para-cycling race routes and downloadable event information)
- Guide for cyclists (Cycling News): https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-road-world-championships-2019/preview/
- Event FAQs and Facts: https://worlds.yorkshire.com/championships-info/faqs
- Official merchandise: https://yorkshire2019shop.com
- Accommodation: https://www.visitharrogate.co.uk/events/uciworlds2019/worlds-places-to-stay
Exploring Yorkshire and Harrogate District: https://www.yorkshire.com/ and https://www.visitharrogate.co.uk/
- Knaresborough ‘Party in the Castle’ (21 Sept): https://www.facebook.com/events/knaresborough/party-in-the-castle/380572932654481/
About the author: Charlotte Gale is a Yorkshire based professional photographer, specialising in Marketing, PR, Interior and Food photoshoots for businesses. She also has a range of Yorkshire photography products, including wall art, greetings cards and Christmas cards. All her cards can be personalised for corporate clients.